Bob and Sue Bedner grew plants for and worked at the family farm market in Upper St. Clair starting in the 1970’s. After years of expanding their own greenhouse and produce growing operation in Cecil, they decided to branch off and open Bedner’s Farm & Greenhouse for business in the spring of 1996.
Their son Russ and his wife Melanie joined them, and in the early 2000’s they began to expand the garden center to include perennials and trees/shrubs. The landscape design, installation, and maintenance division was started in 2013.
There are fifteen greenhouses on the farm, as well as produce fields. Annual and perennial plant production begins every January. The Bedner’s are known for their large selection of annuals and hanging baskets. Unique trees and shrubs can be found in the nursery area. In the summer and fall, produce is picked daily, including: homegrown sweet corn, tomatoes, zucchini, eggplant, hot and sweet peppers, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, cantaloupe, watermelon, pumpkins, gourds, and more. October weekends brings the fall festival – Art Under Glass – as well as hayrides and pumpkin picking.Plants are available at the one retail location, in Cecil Township. Wholesale produce is available to grocery stores and restaurants.
- American Nursery and Landscape Association (ANLA)
- Pennsylvania Association for Sustainable Agriculture (PASA)
- Washinton County Chamber of Commerce (WCCC)
- McDonald Area Redevelopment Association (MARA)
- Washington County Tourism and Promotion Agency (WCTPA)
- South Fayette Conservation Group
- Washington County Farm Bureau
- Plant and maintain two flower beds at the Panhandle Trail, McDonald Trail Station.
- Cecil Friends of the Montour Trail
- South Fayette/Greater Bridgeville Relay for Life
- South Hills Women’s Club
- Pittsburgh Botanic Garden
- Cecil Township Parks and Recreation
- Penn State Master Gardeners of Allegheny and Washington counties
- Cecil and Muse Elementary schools
- Future Farmers of America – Fort Cherry High School
- Cecil American Legion
- Cecil and Muse Fire Departments
- Character Education Book sponsor for local elementary schools through The Ambassador Company
- The Armory Center for Youth in Canonsburg
- Strikes Against Cancer