Upcoming Frost Reminder – 5/06/17
As the temperature outside is expected to drop over the next few nights, there is potential for a frost which can damage vulnerable plants. Some of the most easily affected by the cold weather are:
- Houseplants and Tropicals
- Shrubs and trees that bloom in Spring (Azalea, Rhododendron)
- Citrus trees
- Warm-season vegetables (tomatoes and peppers)
- Warm-season annuals (impatiens, petunia, and geranium)
- Bring them inside. If your plants are in containers or baskets, bringing them indoors will help them avoid damage from the cold temperatures.
- Cover. Any young plants that are in the ground- cover with an inverted pot or container overnight. Be sure to remove the cover when the frost ends.
- Any shrubs or trees can be covered with a blanket or burlap to trap heat that will protect the plant. Also be sure to remove this in the morning.